We will be learning about how to make the popular “Spiral Betty” design & how to get it into Design Space!
Our Spiral Betty Design:
What exactly is a spiral betty?
This is a fun concept where you convert an image into a single spiral line, similar to the grooves in a vinyl record.
They also have other design options available besides the spiral design, like lines & dots!
Keep in mind, we used an IPHONE so some of the steps may be slightly different if your using Android or a desktop (If the step number is has a * next to it, that step may be different for android or desktop users!)
1. Go to spiralbetty.com
2. Click the circle that says “+ UPLOAD IMAGE”
3*. Click “Photo Library” to go to your phones camera roll.
4. Click the image you want to use.
5. Click “Choose” in the bottom right corner.
6. Move your image around until you get it how you want it WITHIN the purple circle & when your satisfied click the CHECK MARK. (you can use the horizontal scroll bar on the screen to zoom in and out on your picture)
7. Click the second option from the images pictured at the bottom of your screen. (the first black & white option).
8. Next to your spiral betty, click the 3rd circle down the list on the right side (the symbol is a box with an arrow)
(TIP: you can click the trash can on the top to start over with a new image)
*** It makes this image easier to use with your Cricut machine if you put a check mark in the “CLEAR BACKGROUND” box so you don’t manually have to do that when you upload the image in Design Space)***
9. Click “PNG” and click “Download”
10. It should now say “Do you want to download “spiralbetty_############.png”? (thats the name of your picture) Click the right option “Download”.
11. Close up spiral betty’s website & open up Design Space.
12. Click “New Project”
13.* From the options on the bottom, click “Upload”
14.* “Browse Files” from the list.
15.* Scroll on the “Downloads” screen to find your image (scroll down to the S’s & they are named spiral betty with some numbers) & click your spiral betty image.
(IF YOU ALREADY CLEARED THE BACKGROUND YOU CAN SKIP THE NEXT TWO STEPS)
16.* Click on the first option “Remove” from the icons across the bottom of your screen.
17.* Select ONE blank/white space on the photo to make it remove the background. (now your image should look how you want it to in the box “guide” in the top right of your screen.
18.* Click the GREEN “Next” button in the top right corner of your screen when your satisfied with how your image looks
(if you accidently click the wrong area, simply click the “Undo” button)
19. The top of your screen should now say “Refine” you can just click the GREEN “Next” button in the top right corner of your screen and skip this step.
20. The top of your screen should now say “Prepare to Upload”, Click the image on the LEFT that says “Cut” and name your image whatever you’d like & click the GREEN “Save” button in the top right corner of your screen.
21. Resize the image however you’d like! (for it to be a full sheet, size it to 11.4)
**FOR WEEDING DESIGN SIMPLY PULL UP ONE OF THE BOTTOM EXCESS CORNERS WHICH WILLPULL THE RIGHT STRING TO MAKE YOUR SPIRAL!!***